Basic Job Description:
Perform administrative and certain clinical duties under the direction of physician. Administrative duties may include scheduling appointments, maintaining medical records, billing, and coding for insurance purposes. Clinical duties may include taking and recording vital signs and medical histories, preparing patients for examination, drawing blood, and administering medications as directed by physician.
1) Interview patients to obtain medical information and measure their vital signs, weight, and height.
2) Show patients to examination rooms and prepare them for the physician.
3) Record patients' medical history, vital statistics and information such as test results in medical records.
4) Prepare and administer medications as directed by a physician.
5) Collect blood, tissue or other laboratory specimens, log the specimens, and prepare them for testing.
6) Explain treatment procedures, medications, diets and physicians' instructions to patients.
Thanks for visiting CareerPlanner.com
How can we help you with your career?
7) Help physicians examine and treat patients, handing them instruments and materials or performing such tasks as giving injections and removing sutures.
8) Authorize drug refills and provide prescription information to pharmacies.
9) Prepare treatment rooms for patient examinations, keeping the rooms neat and clean.
Is being a "Medical Assistant" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
10) Clean and sterilize instruments and dispose of contaminated supplies.
11) Schedule appointments for patients.
12) Change dressings on wounds.
13) Greet and log in patients arriving at office or clinic.
14) Contact medical facilities or departments to schedule patients for tests and/or admission.
15) Perform general office duties such as answering telephones, taking dictation and completing insurance forms.
16) Inventory and order medical, lab, and office supplies and equipment.
17) Perform routine laboratory tests and sample analyses.
18) Set up medical laboratory equipment.
19) Keep financial records and perform other bookkeeping duties, such as handling credit and collections and mailing monthly statements to patients.
20) Operate x-ray, electrocardiogram (EKG), and other equipment to administer routine diagnostic tests.
21) Give physiotherapy treatments, such as diathermy, galvanics, and hydrotherapy.
|Part 1||Part 2||Part 3||Part 4||Part 5|
|Duties / Tasks||Activities||Skills||Abilities||Knowledge / Experience|
Holland / RIASEC Career Code: S-C-R SOC: 31-9092.00