Basic Job Description:
Administer anesthetics during surgery or other medical procedures.
1) Administer anesthetic or sedation during medical procedures, using local, intravenous, spinal or caudal methods.
2) Confer with other medical professionals to determine type and method of anesthetic or sedation to render patient insensible to pain.
3) Coordinate administration of anesthetics with surgeons during operation.
4) Decide when patients have recovered or stabilized enough to be sent to another room or ward or to be sent home following outpatient surgery.
5) Examine patient, obtain medical history and use diagnostic tests to determine risk during surgical, obstetrical, and other medical procedures.
6) Monitor patient before, during, and after anesthesia and counteract adverse reactions or complications.
Thanks for visiting CareerPlanner.com
How can we help you with your career?
7) Record type and amount of anesthesia and patient condition throughout procedure.
8) Conduct medical research to aid in controlling and curing disease, to investigate new medications, and to develop and test new medical techniques.
9) Coordinate and direct work of nurses, medical technicians and other health care providers.
Is being an "Anesthesiologist" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
10) Diagnose illnesses, using examinations, tests and reports.
11) Inform students and staff of types and methods of anesthesia administration, signs of complications, and emergency methods to counteract reactions.
12) Manage anesthesiological services, coordinating them with other medical activities and formulating plans and procedures.
13) Order laboratory tests, x-rays and other diagnostic procedures.
14) Position patient on operating table to maximize patient comfort and surgical accessibility.
15) Provide and maintain life support and airway management, and help prepare patients for emergency surgery.
16) Provide medical care and consultation in many settings, prescribing medication and treatment and referring patients for surgery.
17) Instruct individuals and groups on ways to preserve health and prevent disease.
18) Schedule and maintain use of surgical suite, including operating, wash-up, waiting rooms and anesthetic and sterilizing equipment.
|Part 1||Part 2||Part 3||Part 4||Part 5|
|Duties / Tasks||Activities||Skills||Abilities||Knowledge / Experience|
Holland / RIASEC Career Code: I-R-S SOC: 29-1061.00