Basic Job Description:
Lay and install carpet from rolls or blocks on floors. Install padding and trim flooring materials.
1) Join edges of carpet and seam edges where necessary, by sewing or by using tape with glue and heated carpet iron.
2) Cut and trim carpet to fit along wall edges, openings, and projections, finishing the edges with a wall trimmer.
3) Inspect the surface to be covered to determine its condition, and correct any imperfections that might show through carpet or cause carpet to wear unevenly.
4) Roll out, measure, mark, and cut carpeting to size with a carpet knife, following floor sketches and allowing extra carpet for final fitting.
5) Plan the layout of the carpet, allowing for expected traffic patterns and placing seams for best appearance and longest wear.
6) Stretch carpet to align with walls and ensure a smooth surface, and press carpet in place over tack strips or use staples, tape, tacks or glue to hold carpet in place.
Thanks for visiting CareerPlanner.com
How can we help you with your career?
7) Take measurements and study floor sketches to calculate the area to be carpeted and the amount of material needed.
8) Cut carpet padding to size and install padding, following prescribed method.
9) Install carpet on some floors using adhesive, following prescribed method.
Is being a "Carpet Installer" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
10) Nail tack strips around area to be carpeted or use old strips to attach edges of new carpet.
11) Fasten metal treads across door openings or where carpet meets flooring to hold carpet in place.
12) Measure, cut and install tackless strips along the baseboard or wall.
13) Draw building diagrams and record dimensions.
14) Move furniture from area to be carpeted and remove old carpet and padding.
15) Cut and bind material.
|Part 1||Part 2||Part 3||Part 4||Part 5|
|Duties / Tasks||Activities||Skills||Abilities||Knowledge / Experience|
Holland / RIASEC Career Code: R-E-C SOC: 47-2041.00