Basic Job Description:
Direct the preparation, seasoning, and cooking of salads, soups, fish, meats, vegetables, desserts, or other foods. May plan and price menu items, order supplies, and keep records and accounts. May participate in cooking.
1) Determine how food should be presented, and create decorative food displays.
2) Determine production schedules and staff requirements necessary to ensure timely delivery of services.
3) Estimate amounts and costs of required supplies, such as food and ingredients.
4) Inspect supplies, equipment, and work areas to ensure conformance to established standards.
5) Instruct cooks and other workers in the preparation, cooking, garnishing, and presentation of food.
6) Monitor sanitation practices to ensure that employees follow standards and regulations.
Thanks for visiting CareerPlanner.com
How can we help you with your career?
7) Order or requisition food and other supplies needed to ensure efficient operation.
8) Recruit and hire staff, including cooks and other kitchen workers.
9) Analyze recipes to assign prices to menu items, based on food, labor, and overhead costs.
Is being a "Chef and Head Cook" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
10) Arrange for equipment purchases and repairs.
11) Meet with customers to discuss menus for special occasions such as weddings, parties, and banquets.
12) Meet with sales representatives in order to negotiate prices and order supplies.
13) Prepare and cook foods of all types, either on a regular basis or for special guests or functions.
14) Supervise and coordinate activities of cooks and workers engaged in food preparation.
15) Collaborate with other personnel to plan and develop recipes and menus, taking into account such factors as seasonal availability of ingredients and the likely number of customers.
16) Check the quality of raw and cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
17) Check the quantity and quality of received products.
18) Demonstrate new cooking techniques and equipment to staff.
19) Record production and operational data on specified forms.
20) Coordinate planning, budgeting, and purchasing for all the food operations within establishments such as clubs, hotels, or restaurant chains.
21) Plan, direct, and supervise the food preparation and cooking activities of multiple kitchens or restaurants in an establishment such as a restaurant chain, hospital, or hotel.
|Part 1||Part 2||Part 3||Part 4||Part 5|
|Duties / Tasks||Activities||Skills||Abilities||Knowledge / Experience|
Holland / RIASEC Career Code: E-R-A SOC: 35-1011.00