Basic Job Description:
Set up or set up and operate more than one type of cutting or forming machine tool, such as gear hobbers, lathes, press brakes, shearing, and boring machines.
1) Sets up and operates lathes, cutters, borers, millers, grinders, presses, drills, and auxiliary machines to make metallic and plastic workpieces.
2) Computes data, such as gear dimensions and machine settings, applying knowledge of shop mathematics.
3) Instructs operators or other workers in machine setup and operation.
4) Records operational data such as pressure readings, length of stroke, feeds, and speeds.
5) Makes minor electrical and mechanical repairs and adjustments to machines, and notifies supervisor when major service is required.
6) Lifts, positions, and secures workpieces in holding devices, using hoists and hand tools.
Thanks for visiting CareerPlanner.com
How can we help you with your career?
7) Inspects first-run workpieces and verifies conformance to specifications to check accuracy of machine setup.
8) Measures and marks reference points and cutting lines on workpiece, using traced templates, compasses, and rules.
9) Moves controls or mounts gears, cams, or templates in machine to set feed rate and cutting speed, depth, and angle.
Is being a "Combination Machine Tool Setter and Set-Up Operator, Metal and Plastic" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
10) Selects, installs, and adjusts alignment of drills, cutters, dies, guides, and holding devices, using template, measuring instruments, and hand tools.
11) Starts machine and turns handwheels or valves to engage feeding, cooling, and lubricating mechanisms.
12) Reads blueprint or job order to determine product specifications and tooling instructions and to plan operational sequences.
13) Monitors machine operation and moves controls to align and adjust position of workpieces and action of cutting tools.
|Part 1||Part 2||Part 3||Part 4||Part 5|
|Duties / Tasks||Activities||Skills||Abilities||Knowledge / Experience|
Holland / RIASEC Career Code: R-C-E SOC: 51-4081.01