Basic Job Description:
Design and implement computer and information networks, such as local area networks (LAN), wide area networks (WAN), intranets, extranets, and other data communications networks. Perform network modeling, analysis, and planning. May also design network and computer security measures. May research and recommend network and data communications hardware and software.
1) Develop or maintain project reporting systems.
2) Prepare design presentations and proposals for staff or customers.
3) Use network computer-aided design (CAD) software packages to optimize network designs.
4) Prepare or monitor project schedules, budgets, or cost control systems.
5) Develop plans or budgets for network equipment replacement.
6) Estimate time and materials needed to complete projects.
Thanks for visiting CareerPlanner.com
How can we help you with your career?
7) Supervise engineers or other staff in the design or implementation of network solutions.
8) Explain design specifications to integration or test engineers.
9) Maintain networks by performing activities such as file addition, deletion, or backup.
Is being a "Computer Network Architect" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
10) Maintain or coordinate the maintenance of network peripherals, such as printers.
11) Adjust network sizes to meet volume or capacity demands.
12) Communicate with customers, sales staff, or marketing staff to determine customer needs.
13) Communicate with system users to ensure accounts are set up properly or to diagnose and solve operational problems.
14) Coordinate installation of new equipment.
15) Coordinate network operations, maintenance, repairs, or upgrades.
16) Coordinate network or design activities with designers of associated networks.
17) Design, build, or operate equipment configuration prototypes, including network hardware, software, servers, or server operation systems.
18) Design, organize, and deliver product awareness, skills transfer, or product education sessions for staff or suppliers.
19) Determine specific network hardware or software requirements, such as platforms, interfaces, bandwidths, or routine schemas.
20) Develop and implement solutions for network problems.
21) Develop conceptual, logical, or physical network designs.
22) Develop disaster recovery plans.
23) Develop network-related documentation.
24) Develop and write procedures for installation, use, or troubleshooting of communications hardware or software.
25) Develop or recommend network security measures, such as firewalls, network security audits, or automated security probes.
26) Develop procedures to track, project, or report network availability, reliability, capacity, or utilization.
27) Evaluate network designs to determine whether customer requirements are met efficiently and effectively.
28) Monitor and analyze network performance and data input/output reports to detect problems, identify inefficient use of computer resources, or perform capacity planning.
29) Participate in network technology upgrade or expansion projects, including installation of hardware and software and integration testing.
30) Prepare detailed network specifications, including diagrams, charts, equipment configurations, or recommended technologies.
31) Research and test new or modified hardware or software products to determine performance and interoperability.
32) Visit vendors, attend conferences or training sessions, or study technical journals to keep up with changes in technology.
33) Communicate with vendors to gather information about products, alert them to future needs, resolve problems, or address system maintenance issues.
|Part 1||Part 2||Part 3||Part 4||Part 5|
|Duties / Tasks||Activities||Skills||Abilities||Knowledge / Experience|
Holland / RIASEC Career Code: NA SOC: 15-1143.00