Basic Job Description:
Perform tasks involving physical labor at building, highway, and heavy construction projects, tunnel and shaft excavations, and demolition sites. May operate hand and power tools of all types: air hammers, earth tampers, cement mixers, small mechanical hoists, surveying and measuring equipment, and a variety of other equipment and instruments. May clean and prepare sites, dig trenches, set braces to support the sides of excavations, erect scaffolding, clean up rubble and debris, and remove asbestos, lead, and other hazardous waste materials. May assist other craft workers.
1) Mop, brush, or spread paints, cleaning solutions, or other compounds over surfaces to clean them or to provide protection.
2) Operate jackhammers and drills to break up concrete or pavement.
3) Place, consolidate, and protect case-in-place concrete or masonry structures.
4) Position, join, align, and seal structural components, such as concrete wall sections and pipes.
5) Shovel cement and other materials into portable cement mixers; and mix, pour, and spread concrete.
6) Signal equipment operators to facilitate alignment, movement, and adjustment of machinery, equipment, and materials.
Thanks for visiting CareerPlanner.com
How can we help you with your career?
7) Smooth and finish freshly poured cement or concrete, using floats, trowels, screeds, or powered cement finishing tools.
8) Spray materials such as water, sand, steam, vinyl, paint, or stucco through hoses to clean, coat, or seal surfaces.
9) Tend machines that pump concrete, grout, cement, sand, plaster or stucco through spray-guns for application to ceilings and walls.
Is being a "Construction Laborer" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
10) Tend pumps, compressors, and generators to provide power for tools, machinery, and equipment, or to heat and move materials such as asphalt.
11) Lubricate, clean, and repair machinery, equipment, and tools.
12) Operate, read, and maintain air monitoring and other sampling devices in confined and/or hazardous environments.
13) Apply caulking compounds by hand or using caulking guns.
14) Build and position forms for pouring concrete, and dismantle forms after use, using saws, hammers, nails, or bolts.
15) Clean and prepare construction sites to eliminate possible hazards.
16) Control traffic passing near, in, and around work zones.
17) Dig ditches or trenches, backfill excavations, and compact and level earth to grade specifications, using picks, shovels, pneumatic tampers, and rakes.
18) Erect and disassemble scaffolding, shoring, braces, traffic barricades, ramps, and other temporary structures.
19) Grind, scrape, sand, or polish surfaces such as concrete, marble, terrazzo, or wood flooring, using abrasive tools or machines.
20) Install sewer, water, and storm drain pipes, using pipe-laying machinery and laser guidance equipment.
21) Load, unload, and identify building materials, machinery, and tools, and distribute them to the appropriate locations, according to project plans and specifications.
22) Measure, mark, and record openings and distances to lay out areas where construction work will be performed.
23) Mix ingredients to create compounds for covering or cleaning surfaces.
24) Provide assistance to craft workers, such as carpenters, plasterers, and masons.
25) Raze buildings and salvage useful materials.
26) Read and interpret plans, instructions, and specifications to determine work activities.
27) Transport and set explosives for tunnel, shaft, and road construction.
28) Use computers and other input devices to control robotic pipe cutters and cleaners.
29) Identify, pack, and transport hazardous and/or radioactive materials.
|Part 1||Part 2||Part 3||Part 4||Part 5|
|Duties / Tasks||Activities||Skills||Abilities||Knowledge / Experience|
Holland / RIASEC Career Code: R-C-E SOC: 47-2061.00