Basic Job Description:
Diagnose and treat diseases, injuries, and malformations of teeth and gums and related oral structures. May treat diseases of nerve, pulp, and other dental tissues affecting vitality of teeth.
1) Use masks, gloves and safety glasses to protect themselves and their patients from infectious diseases.
2) Administer anesthetics to limit the amount of pain experienced by patients during procedures.
3) Examine teeth, gums, and related tissues, using dental instruments, x-rays, and other diagnostic equipment, to evaluate dental health, diagnose diseases or abnormalities, and plan appropriate treatments.
4) Formulate plan of treatment for patient's teeth and mouth tissue.
5) Use air turbine and hand instruments, dental appliances and surgical implements.
6) Advise and instruct patients regarding preventive dental care, the causes and treatment of dental problems, and oral health care services.
Thanks for visiting CareerPlanner.com
How can we help you with your career?
7) Design, make, and fit prosthodontic appliances such as space maintainers, bridges, and dentures, or write fabrication instructions or prescriptions for denturists and dental technicians.
8) Diagnose and treat diseases, injuries, and malformations of teeth, gums and related oral structures, and provide preventive and corrective services.
9) Fill pulp chamber and canal with endodontic materials.
Is being a "Dentists, General" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
10) Write prescriptions for antibiotics and other medications.
11) Analyze and evaluate dental needs to determine changes and trends in patterns of dental disease.
12) Treat exposure of pulp by pulp capping, removal of pulp from pulp chamber, or root canal, using dental instruments.
13) Eliminate irritating margins of fillings and correct occlusions, using dental instruments.
14) Perform oral and periodontal surgery on the jaw or mouth.
15) Remove diseased tissue using surgical instruments.
16) Apply fluoride and sealants to teeth.
17) Manage business, employing and supervising staff and handling paperwork and insurance claims.
18) Bleach, clean or polish teeth to restore natural color.
19) Plan, organize, and maintain dental health programs.
20) Produce and evaluate dental health educational materials.
|Part 1||Part 2||Part 3||Part 4||Part 5|
|Duties / Tasks||Activities||Skills||Abilities||Knowledge / Experience|
Holland / RIASEC Career Code: I-R-S SOC: 29-1021.00