Basic Job Description:
Assess injuries, administer emergency medical care, and extricate trapped individuals. Transport injured or sick persons to medical facilities.
1) Administer first-aid treatment and life-support care to sick or injured persons in prehospital setting.
2) Operate equipment such as EKGs, external defibrillators and bag-valve mask resuscitators in advanced life-support environments.
3) Assess nature and extent of illness or injury to establish and prioritize medical procedures.
4) Maintain vehicles and medical and communication equipment, and replenish first-aid equipment and supplies.
5) Observe, record, and report to physician the patient's condition or injury, the treatment provided, and reactions to drugs and treatment.
6) Perform emergency diagnostic and treatment procedures, such as stomach suction, airway management and heart monitoring, during ambulance ride.
Thanks for visiting CareerPlanner.com
How can we help you with your career?
7) Administer drugs, orally or by injection, and perform intravenous procedures under a physician's direction.
8) Comfort and reassure patients.
9) Coordinate work with other emergency medical team members and police and fire department personnel.
Is being an "Emergency Medical Technician and Paramedic" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
10) Communicate with dispatchers and treatment center personnel to provide information about situation, to arrange reception of victims, and to receive instructions for further treatment.
11) Immobilize patient for placement on stretcher and ambulance transport, using backboard or other spinal immobilization device.
12) Decontaminate ambulance interior following treatment of patient with infectious disease and report case to proper authorities.
13) Drive mobile intensive care unit to specified location, following instructions from emergency medical dispatcher.
14) Coordinate with treatment center personnel to obtain patients' vital statistics and medical history, to determine the circumstances of the emergency, and to administer emergency treatment.
|Part 1||Part 2||Part 3||Part 4||Part 5|
|Duties / Tasks||Activities||Skills||Abilities||Knowledge / Experience|
Holland / RIASEC Career Code: S-R-I SOC: 29-2041.00