Basic Job Description:
Perform various tasks to arrange and direct funeral services, such as coordinating transportation of body to mortuary for embalming, interviewing family or other authorized person to arrange details, selecting pallbearers, procuring official for religious rites, and providing transportation for mourners.
1) Inform survivors of benefits for which they may be eligible.
2) Maintain financial records, order merchandise, and prepare accounts.
3) Plan placement of caskets at funeral sites, and place and adjust lights, fixtures, and floral displays.
4) Arrange for pallbearers, and inform pallbearers and honorary groups of their duties.
5) Receive and usher people to their seats for services.
6) Plan, schedule and coordinate funerals, burials, and cremations, arranging such details as the time and place of services.
Thanks for visiting CareerPlanner.com
How can we help you with your career?
7) Obtain information needed to complete legal documents such as death certificates and burial permits.
8) Oversee the preparation and care of the remains of people who have died.
9) Contact cemeteries to schedule the opening and closing of graves.
Is being a "Funeral Director" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
10) Provide information on funeral service options, products, and merchandise, and maintain a casket display area.
11) Manage funeral home operations, including hiring and supervising embalmers, funeral attendants, and other staff.
12) Offer counsel and comfort to bereaved families and friends.
13) Close caskets and lead funeral corteges to churches or burial sites.
14) Arrange for clergy members to perform needed services.
15) Provide or arrange transportation between sites for the remains, mourners, pallbearers, clergy, and flowers.
16) Perform embalming duties as necessary.
17) Direct preparations and shipment of bodies for out-of-state burial.
18) Discuss and negotiate pre-arranged funerals with clients.
19) Consult with families and/or friends of the deceased to arrange funeral details such as obituary notice wording, casket selection, and plans for services.
|Part 1||Part 2||Part 3||Part 4||Part 5|
|Duties / Tasks||Activities||Skills||Abilities||Knowledge / Experience|
Holland / RIASEC Career Code: E-S-C SOC: 11-9061.00