Basic Job Description:
Distribute or process gas for utility companies and others by controlling compressors to maintain specified pressures on main pipelines.
1) Adjust temperature, pressure, vacuum, level, flow rate, and/or transfer of gas to maintain processes at required levels or to correct problems.
2) Calculate gas ratios to detect deviations from specifications, using testing apparatus.
3) Control equipment to regulate flow and pressure of gas to feedlines of boilers, furnaces, and related steam-generating or heating equipment.
4) Control fractioning columns, compressors, purifying towers, heat exchangers, and related equipment in order to extract nitrogen and oxygen from air.
5) Control operation of compressors, scrubbers, evaporators, and refrigeration equipment in order to liquefy, compress, or regasify natural gas.
6) Determine causes of abnormal pressure variances, and make corrective recommendations, such as installation of pipes to relieve overloading.
Thanks for visiting CareerPlanner.com
How can we help you with your career?
7) Distribute or process gas for utility companies or industrial plants, using panel boards, control boards, and semi-automatic equipment.
8) Monitor equipment functioning, observe temperature, level, and flow gauges, and perform regular unit checks, in order to ensure that all equipment is operating as it should.
9) Start and shut down plant equipment.
Is being a "Gas Plant Operator" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
10) Test gas, chemicals, and air during processing to assess factors such as purity and moisture content, and to detect quality problems or gas or chemical leaks.
11) Change charts in recording meters.
12) Clean, maintain, and repair equipment, using hand tools, or request that repair and maintenance work be performed.
13) Collaborate with other operators to solve unit problems.
14) Contact maintenance crews when necessary.
15) Monitor transportation and storage of flammable and other potentially dangerous products to ensure that safety guidelines are followed.
16) Read logsheets to determine product demand and disposition, or to detect malfunctions.
17) Record, review, and compile operations records, test results, and gauge readings such as temperatures, pressures, concentrations, and flows.
18) Signal or direct workers who tend auxiliary equipment.
19) Operate construction equipment to install and maintain gas distribution systems.
|Part 1||Part 2||Part 3||Part 4||Part 5|
|Duties / Tasks||Activities||Skills||Abilities||Knowledge / Experience|
Holland / RIASEC Career Code: NA SOC: 51-8092.00