Basic Job Description:
Assist department chairperson, faculty members, or other professional staff members in college or university by performing teaching or teaching-related duties, such as teaching lower level courses, developing teaching materials, preparing and giving examinations, and grading examinations or papers. Graduate assistants must be enrolled in a graduate school program. Graduate assistants who primarily perform non-teaching duties, such as laboratory research, should be reported in the occupational category related to the work performed.
1) Meet with supervisors to discuss students' grades, and to complete required grade-related paperwork.
2) Notify instructors of errors or problems with assignments.
3) Order or obtain materials needed for classes.
4) Prepare and proctor examinations.
5) Return assignments to students in accordance with established deadlines.
6) Schedule and maintain regular office hours to meet with students.
Thanks for visiting CareerPlanner.com
How can we help you with your career?
7) Arrange for supervisors to conduct teaching observations; meet with supervisors to receive feedback about teaching performance.
8) Assist faculty members or staff with student conferences.
9) Provide assistance to faculty members or staff with laboratory or field research.
Is being a "Graduate Teaching Assistant" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
10) Provide instructors with assistance in the use of audiovisual equipment.
11) Provide assistance to library staff in maintaining library collections.
12) Evaluate and grade examinations, assignments, and papers, and record grades.
13) Lead discussion sections, tutorials, and laboratory sections.
14) Teach undergraduate level courses.
15) Develop teaching materials such as syllabi, visual aids, answer keys, supplementary notes, and course websites.
16) Attend lectures given by the instructor whom they are assisting.
17) Complete laboratory projects prior to assigning them to students so that any needed modifications can be made.
18) Copy and distribute classroom materials.
19) Demonstrate use of laboratory equipment, and enforce laboratory rules.
20) Inform students of the procedures for completing and submitting class work such as lab reports.
|Part 1||Part 2||Part 3||Part 4||Part 5|
|Duties / Tasks||Activities||Skills||Abilities||Knowledge / Experience|
Holland / RIASEC Career Code: S-I-C SOC: 25-1191.00