Basic Job Description:
Sell life, property, casualty, health, automotive, or other types of insurance. May refer clients to independent brokers, work as independent broker, or be employed by an insurance company.
1) Call on policyholders to deliver and explain policy, to analyze insurance program and suggest additions or changes, or to change beneficiaries.
2) Calculate premiums and establish payment method.
3) Customize insurance programs to suit individual customers, often covering a variety of risks.
4) Sell various types of insurance policies to businesses and individuals on behalf of insurance companies, including automobile, fire, life, property, medical and dental insurance or specialized policies such as marine, farm/crop, and medical malpractice.
5) Interview prospective clients to obtain data about their financial resources and needs, the physical condition of the person or property to be insured, and to discuss any existing coverage.
6) Seek out new clients and develop clientele by networking to find new customers and generate lists of prospective clients.
Thanks for visiting CareerPlanner.com
How can we help you with your career?
7) Explain features, advantages and disadvantages of various policies to promote sale of insurance plans.
8) Contact underwriter and submit forms to obtain binder coverage.
9) Ensure that policy requirements are fulfilled, including any necessary medical examinations and the completion of appropriate forms.
Is being an "Insurance Sales Agent" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
10) Confer with clients to obtain and provide information when claims are made on a policy.
11) Perform administrative tasks, such as maintaining records and handling policy renewals.
12) Select company that offers type of coverage requested by client to underwrite policy.
13) Monitor insurance claims to ensure they are settled equitably for both the client and the insurer.
14) Develop marketing strategies to compete with other individuals or companies who sell insurance.
15) Attend meetings, seminars and programs to learn about new products and services, learn new skills, and receive technical assistance in developing new accounts.
16) Inspect property, examining its general condition, type of construction, age, and other characteristics, to decide if it is a good insurance risk.
17) Install bookkeeping systems and resolve system problems.
18) Plan and oversee incorporation of insurance program into bookkeeping system of company.
19) Explain necessary bookkeeping requirements for customer to implement and provide group insurance program.
|Part 1||Part 2||Part 3||Part 4||Part 5|
|Duties / Tasks||Activities||Skills||Abilities||Knowledge / Experience|
Holland / RIASEC Career Code: E-S-C SOC: 41-3021.00