Basic Job Description:
Landscape or maintain grounds of property using hand or power tools or equipment. Workers typically perform a variety of tasks, which may include any combination of the following: sod laying, mowing, trimming, planting, watering, fertilizing, digging, raking, sprinkler installation, and installation of mortarless segmental concrete masonry wall units.
1) Care for established lawns by mulching, aerating, weeding, grubbing and removing thatch, and trimming and edging around flower beds, walks, and walls.
2) Mix and spray or spread fertilizers, herbicides, or insecticides onto grass, shrubs, and trees, using hand or automatic sprayers or spreaders.
3) Mow and edge lawns, using power mowers and edgers.
4) Plant seeds, bulbs, foliage, flowering plants, grass, ground covers, trees, and shrubs, and apply mulch for protection, using gardening tools.
5) Attach wires from planted trees to support stakes.
6) Decorate gardens with stones and plants.
Thanks for visiting CareerPlanner.com
How can we help you with your career?
7) Follow planned landscaping designs to determine where to lay sod, sow grass, or plant flowers and foliage.
8) Gather and remove litter.
9) Haul or spread topsoil, and spread straw over seeded soil to hold soil in place.
Is being a "Landscaping and Groundskeeping Worker" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
10) Maintain irrigation systems, including winterizing the systems and starting them up in spring.
11) Plan and cultivate lawns and gardens.
12) Prune and trim trees, shrubs, and hedges, using shears, pruners, or chain saws.
13) Rake, mulch, and compost leaves.
14) Trim and pick flowers, and clean flower beds.
15) Water lawns, trees, and plants, using portable sprinkler systems, hoses, or watering cans.
16) Advise customers on plant selection and care.
17) Build forms, and mix and pour cement to form garden borders.
18) Install rock gardens, ponds, decks, drainage systems, irrigation systems, retaining walls, fences, planters, and/or playground equipment.
19) Maintain and repair tools, equipment, and structures such as buildings, greenhouses, fences, and benches, using hand and power tools.
20) Provide proper upkeep of sidewalks, driveways, parking lots, fountains, planters, burial sites, and other grounds features.
21) Shovel snow from walks, driveways, and parking lots, and spread salt in those areas.
22) Use irrigation methods to adjust the amount of water consumption and to prevent waste.
23) Care for artificial turf fields, periodically removing the turf and replacing cushioning pads, and vacuuming and disinfecting the turf after use to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria.
24) Care for natural turf fields, making sure the underlying soil has the required composition to allow proper drainage and to support the grasses used on the fields.
25) Mark design boundaries, and paint natural and artificial turf fields with team logos and names before events.
26) Operate powered equipment such as mowers, tractors, twin-axle vehicles, snow blowers, chain-saws, electric clippers, sod cutters, and pruning saws.
27) Use hand tools such as shovels, rakes, pruning saws, saws, hedge and brush trimmers, and axes.
|Part 1||Part 2||Part 3||Part 4||Part 5|
|Duties / Tasks||Activities||Skills||Abilities||Knowledge / Experience|
Holland / RIASEC Career Code: R-I-A SOC: 37-3011.00