Basic Job Description:
Compile records, sort and shelve books, and issue and receive library materials such as pictures, cards, slides and microfilm. Locate library materials for loan and replace material in shelving area, stacks, or files according to identification number and title. Register patrons to permit them to borrow books, periodicals, and other library materials.
1) Lend and collect books, periodicals, videotapes, and other materials at circulation desks.
2) Enter and update patrons' records on computers.
3) Process new materials including books, audiovisual materials, and computer software.
4) Sort books, publications, and other items according to established procedure and return them to shelves, files, or other designated storage areas.
5) Locate library materials for patrons, including books, periodicals, tape cassettes, Braille volumes, and pictures.
6) Instruct patrons on how to use reference sources, card catalogs, and automated information systems.
Thanks for visiting CareerPlanner.com
How can we help you with your career?
7) Inspect returned books for condition and due-date status, and compute any applicable fines.
8) Answer routine inquiries, and refer patrons in need of professional assistance to librarians.
9) Maintain records of items received, stored, issued, and returned, and file catalog cards according to system used.
Is being a "Library Assistant" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
10) Perform clerical activities such as filing, typing, word processing, photocopying and mailing out material, and mail sorting.
11) Provide assistance to librarians in the maintenance of collections of books, periodicals, magazines, newspapers, and audiovisual and other materials.
12) Take action to deal with disruptive or problem patrons.
13) Classify and catalog items according to content and purpose.
14) Register new patrons and issue borrower identification cards that permit patrons to borrow books and other materials.
15) Send out notices and accept fine payments for lost or overdue books.
16) Operate small branch libraries, under the direction of off-site librarian supervisors.
17) Prepare, store, and retrieve classification and catalog information, lecture notes, or other information related to stored documents, using computers.
18) Schedule and supervise clerical workers, volunteers, and student assistants.
19) Operate and maintain audiovisual equipment.
20) Review records, such as microfilm and issue cards, in order to identify titles of overdue materials and delinquent borrowers.
21) Select substitute titles when requested materials are unavailable following criteria such as age, education, and interests.
22) Repair books, using mending tape, paste, and brushes.
23) Deliver and retrieve items to and from departments by hand or using push carts.
24) Facilitate the acquisition of books, pamphlets, periodicals, and audiovisual materials by checking prices, figuring costs, and preparing appropriate order forms.
25) Place books in mailing containers, affix address labels, and secure containers with straps for mailing to blind library patrons.
26) Assist in the preparation of book displays.
|Part 1||Part 2||Part 3||Part 4||Part 5|
|Duties / Tasks||Activities||Skills||Abilities||Knowledge / Experience|
Holland / RIASEC Career Code: C-R-S SOC: 43-4121.00