Basic Job Description:
Perform secretarial duties utilizing specific knowledge of medical terminology and hospital, clinic, or laboratory procedures. Duties include scheduling appointments, billing patients, and compiling and recording medical charts, reports, and correspondence.
1) Schedule and confirm patient diagnostic appointments, surgeries and medical consultations.
2) Compile and record medical charts, reports, and correspondence, using typewriter or personal computer.
3) Answer telephones, and direct calls to appropriate staff.
4) Receive and route messages and documents such as laboratory results to appropriate staff.
5) Greet visitors, ascertain purpose of visit, and direct them to appropriate staff.
6) Interview patients in order to complete documents, case histories, and forms such as intake and insurance forms.
Thanks for visiting CareerPlanner.com
How can we help you with your career?
7) Maintain medical records, technical library and correspondence files.
8) Operate office equipment such as voice mail messaging systems, and use word processing, spreadsheet, and other software applications to prepare reports, invoices, financial statements, letters, case histories and medical records.
9) Transmit correspondence and medical records by mail, e-mail, or fax.
Is being a "Medical Secretary" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
10) Perform various clerical and administrative functions, such as ordering and maintaining an inventory of supplies.
11) Arrange hospital admissions for patients.
12) Transcribe recorded messages and practitioners' diagnoses and recommendations into patients' medical records.
13) Perform bookkeeping duties, such as credits and collections, preparing and sending financial statements and bills, and keeping financial records.
14) Complete insurance and other claim forms.
15) Prepare correspondence and assist physicians or medical scientists with preparation of reports, speeches, articles and conference proceedings.
|Part 1||Part 2||Part 3||Part 4||Part 5|
|Duties / Tasks||Activities||Skills||Abilities||Knowledge / Experience|
Holland / RIASEC Career Code: C-E-I SOC: 43-6013.00