Basic Job Description:
Assess and treat individuals with mental, emotional, or substance abuse problems, including abuse of alcohol, tobacco, and/or other drugs. Activities may include individual and group therapy, crisis intervention, case management, client advocacy, prevention, and education.
1) Counsel clients in individual and group sessions to assist them in dealing with substance abuse, mental and physical illness, poverty, unemployment, or physical abuse.
2) Interview clients, review records, and confer with other professionals to evaluate mental or physical condition of client or patient.
3) Collaborate with counselors, physicians, and nurses to plan and coordinate treatment, drawing on social work experience and patient needs.
4) Monitor, evaluate, and record client progress with respect to treatment goals.
5) Refer patient, client, or family to community resources for housing or treatment to assist in recovery from mental or physical illness, following through to ensure service efficacy.
6) Counsel and aid family members to assist them in understanding, dealing with, and supporting the client or patient.
Thanks for visiting CareerPlanner.com
How can we help you with your career?
7) Modify treatment plans according to changes in client status.
8) Plan and conduct programs to prevent substance abuse, to combat social problems, or to improve health and counseling services in community.
9) Supervise and direct other workers who provide services to clients or patients.
Is being a "Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Worker" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
10) Develop or advise on social policy and assist in community development.
11) Conduct social research to advance knowledge in the social work field.
|Part 1||Part 2||Part 3||Part 4||Part 5|
|Duties / Tasks||Activities||Skills||Abilities||Knowledge / Experience|
Holland / RIASEC Career Code: S-I-A SOC: 21-1023.00