Basic Job Description:
Work in nursery facilities or at customer location planting, cultivating, harvesting, and transplanting trees, shrubs, or plants.
1) Cut, roll, and stack sod.
2) Dig, cut, and transplant seedlings, cuttings, trees, and shrubs.
3) Dig, rake, and screen soil; and fill cold frames and hot beds in preparation for planting.
4) Dip cut flowers into disinfectant, count them into bunches, and place them in boxes to prepare them for storage and shipping.
5) Feel plants' leaves and note their coloring to detect the presence of insects or disease.
6) Fill growing tanks with water.
Thanks for visiting CareerPlanner.com
How can we help you with your career?
7) Graft plants and trees into different rootstock to reduce disease by inserting and tying buds into incisions in rootstock.
8) Harvest plants, and transplant or pot and label them.
9) Haul and spread topsoil, fertilizer, peat moss, and other materials to condition soil, using wheelbarrows or carts and shovels.
Is being a "Nursery Worker" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
10) Inspect plants and bud ties to assess quality.
11) Move containerized shrubs, plants, and trees, using wheelbarrows or tractors.
12) Operate tractors and other machinery and equipment to fertilize, cultivate, harvest, and spray fields and plants.
13) Plant, spray, weed, fertilize, and water plants, shrubs, and trees, using hand tools and gardening tools.
14) Regulate greenhouse conditions, and indoor and outdoor irrigation systems.
15) Sow grass seed, or plant plugs of grass.
16) Tie and bunch flowers, plants, shrubs, and trees; wrap their roots; and pack them into boxes to fill orders.
17) Clean work areas, and maintain grounds and landscaping.
18) Fold and staple corrugated forms to make boxes used for packing horticultural products.
19) Maintain and repair irrigation and climate control systems.
20) Maintain inventory, ordering materials as required.
21) Provide information and advice to the public regarding the selection, purchase, and care of products.
22) Record information about plants and plant growth.
23) Sell and deliver plants and flowers to customers.
24) Trap and destroy pests such as moles, gophers, and mice, using pesticides.
|Part 1||Part 2||Part 3||Part 4||Part 5|
|Duties / Tasks||Activities||Skills||Abilities||Knowledge / Experience|
Holland / RIASEC Career Code: R-I-E SOC: 45-2092.01