Basic Job Description:
Plan, organize, direct, control, and coordinate activities of workers engaged in propagating, cultivating, and harvesting horticultural specialties, such as trees, shrubs, flowers, mushrooms, and other plants.
1) Graft plants.
2) Inspect facilities and equipment for signs of disrepair, and perform necessary maintenance work.
3) Negotiate contracts such as those for land leases or tree purchases.
4) Position and regulate plant irrigation systems, and program environmental and irrigation control computers.
5) Prepare soil for planting, and plant or transplant seeds, bulbs, and cuttings.
6) Provide information to customers on the care of trees, shrubs, flowers, plants, and lawns.
Thanks for visiting CareerPlanner.com
How can we help you with your career?
7) Assign work schedules and duties to nursery or greenhouse staff, and supervise their work.
8) Determine plant growing conditions, such as greenhouses, hydroponics, or natural settings, and set planting and care schedules.
9) Determine types and quantities of horticultural plants to be grown, based on budgets, projected sales volumes, and/or executive directives.
Is being a "Nursery and Greenhouse Managers" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
10) Explain and enforce safety regulations and policies.
11) Hire employees, and train them in gardening techniques.
12) Identify plants as well as problems such as diseases, weeds, and insect pests.
13) Manage nurseries that grow horticultural plants for sale to trade or retail customers, for display or exhibition, or for research.
14) Select and purchase seeds, plant nutrients, disease control chemicals, and garden and lawn care equipment.
15) Tour work areas to observe work being done, to inspect crops, and to evaluate plant and soil conditions.
16) Apply pesticides and fertilizers to plants.
17) Confer with horticultural personnel in order to plan facility renovations or additions.
18) Construct structures and accessories such as greenhouses and benches.
19) Coordinate clerical, recordkeeping, inventory, requisitioning, and marketing activities.
20) Cut and prune trees, shrubs, flowers, and plants.
|Part 1||Part 2||Part 3||Part 4||Part 5|
|Duties / Tasks||Activities||Skills||Abilities||Knowledge / Experience|
Holland / RIASEC Career Code: E-R-C SOC: 11-9011.01