Basic Job Description:
Diagnose, manage, and treat conditions and diseases of the human eye and visual system. Examine eyes and visual system, diagnose problems or impairments, prescribe corrective lenses, and provide treatment. May prescribe therapeutic drugs to treat specific eye conditions.
1) Examine eyes, using observation, instruments and pharmaceutical agents, to determine visual acuity and perception, focus and coordination and to diagnose diseases and other abnormalities such as glaucoma or color blindness.
2) Analyze test results and develop a treatment plan.
3) Prescribe, supply, fit and adjust eyeglasses, contact lenses and other vision aids.
4) Prescribe medications to treat eye diseases if state laws permit.
5) Educate and counsel patients on contact lens care, visual hygiene, lighting arrangements and safety factors.
6) Consult with and refer patients to ophthalmologist or other health care practitioner if additional medical treatment is determined necessary.
Thanks for visiting CareerPlanner.com
How can we help you with your career?
7) Remove foreign bodies from the eye.
8) Provide patients undergoing eye surgeries, such as cataract and laser vision correction, with pre- and post-operative care.
9) Prescribe therapeutic procedures to correct or conserve vision.
Is being an "Optometrist" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
10) Provide vision therapy and low vision rehabilitation.
|Part 1||Part 2||Part 3||Part 4||Part 5|
|Duties / Tasks||Activities||Skills||Abilities||Knowledge / Experience|
Holland / RIASEC Career Code: I-R-S SOC: 29-1041.00