Basic Job Description:
Assemble, install, and repair pipes, fittings, and fixtures of heating, water, and drainage systems, according to specifications and plumbing codes.
1) Assemble pipe sections, tubing and fittings, using couplings, clamps, screws, bolts, cement, plastic solvent, caulking, or soldering, brazing and welding equipment.
2) Fill pipes or plumbing fixtures with water or air and observe pressure gauges to detect and locate leaks.
3) Review blueprints and building codes and specifications to determine work details and procedures.
4) Prepare written work cost estimates and negotiate contracts.
5) Study building plans and inspect structures to assess material and equipment needs, to establish the sequence of pipe installations, and to plan installation around obstructions such as electrical wiring.
6) Keep records of assignments and produce detailed work reports.
Thanks for visiting CareerPlanner.com
How can we help you with your career?
7) Perform complex calculations and planning for special or very large jobs.
8) Locate and mark the position of pipe installations, connections, passage holes, and fixtures in structures, using measuring instruments such as rulers and levels.
9) Measure, cut, thread, and bend pipe to required angle, using hand and power tools or machines such as pipe cutters, pipe-threading machines, and pipe-bending machines.
Is being a "Plumber" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
10) Install pipe assemblies, fittings, valves, appliances such as dishwashers and water heaters, and fixtures such as sinks and toilets, using hand and power tools.
11) Cut openings in structures to accommodate pipes and pipe fittings, using hand and power tools.
12) Hang steel supports from ceiling joists to hold pipes in place.
13) Repair and maintain plumbing, replacing defective washers, replacing or mending broken pipes, and opening clogged drains.
14) Direct workers engaged in pipe cutting and preassembly and installation of plumbing systems and components.
15) Install underground storm, sanitary and water piping systems and extend piping to connect fixtures and plumbing to these systems.
16) Clear away debris in a renovation.
17) Install oxygen and medical gas in hospitals.
18) Use specialized techniques, equipment, or materials, such as performing computer-assisted welding of small pipes, or working with the special piping used in microchip fabrication.
|Part 1||Part 2||Part 3||Part 4||Part 5|
|Duties / Tasks||Activities||Skills||Abilities||Knowledge / Experience|
Holland / RIASEC Career Code: R-E-C SOC: 47-2152.02