Basic Job Description:
Patrol assigned area to enforce laws and ordinances, regulate traffic, control crowds, prevent crime, and arrest violators.
1) Provide for public safety by maintaining order, responding to emergencies, protecting people and property, enforcing motor vehicle and criminal laws, and promoting good community relations.
2) Identify, pursue, and arrest suspects and perpetrators of criminal acts.
3) Record facts to prepare reports that document incidents and activities.
4) Review facts of incidents to determine if criminal act or statute violations were involved.
5) Render aid to accident victims and other persons requiring first aid for physical injuries.
6) Testify in court to present evidence or act as witness in traffic and criminal cases.
Thanks for visiting CareerPlanner.com
How can we help you with your career?
7) Evaluate complaint and emergency-request information to determine response requirements.
8) Patrol specific area on foot, horseback, or motorized conveyance, responding promptly to calls for assistance.
9) Monitor, note, report, and investigate suspicious persons and situations, safety hazards, and unusual or illegal activity in patrol area.
Is being a "Police Patrol Officer" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
10) Investigate traffic accidents and other accidents to determine causes and to determine if a crime has been committed.
11) Photograph or draw diagrams of crime or accident scenes and interview principals and eyewitnesses.
12) Monitor traffic to ensure motorists observe traffic regulations and exhibit safe driving procedures.
13) Relay complaint and emergency-request information to appropriate agency dispatchers.
14) Issue citations or warnings to violators of motor vehicle ordinances.
15) Direct traffic flow and reroute traffic in case of emergencies.
16) Inform citizens of community services and recommend options to facilitate longer-term problem resolution.
17) Provide road information to assist motorists.
18) Process prisoners, and prepare and maintain records of prisoner bookings and prisoner status during booking and pre-trial process.
19) Inspect public establishments to ensure compliance with rules and regulations.
20) Act as official escorts, such as when leading funeral processions or firefighters.
|Part 1||Part 2||Part 3||Part 4||Part 5|
|Duties / Tasks||Activities||Skills||Abilities||Knowledge / Experience|
Holland / RIASEC Career Code: R-S-E SOC: 33-3051.01