Basic Job Description:
Perform a variety of activities such as coupling railcars and operating railroad track switches in railroad yard to facilitate the movement of rail cars within the yard.
1) Throws track switches to route cars to different sections of yard.
2) Receives oral or written instructions indicating which cars are to be switched and track assignments.
3) Raises lever to couple and uncouple cars for makeup and breakup of trains.
4) Opens and closes chute gates to load and unload cars.
5) Watches for and relays traffic signals to start and stop cars during shunting, using arm or lantern.
6) Signals engineer to start and stop engine.
Thanks for visiting CareerPlanner.com
How can we help you with your career?
7) Rides atop cars that have been shunted and turns handwheel to control speed or stop car at specified position.
8) Attaches cable to cars being hoisted by cable or chain in mines, quarries or industrial plants.
9) Connects airhose to car, using wrench.
Is being a "Railroad Yard Worker" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
10) Opens and closes ventilation doors.
|Part 1||Part 2||Part 3||Part 4||Part 5|
|Duties / Tasks||Activities||Skills||Abilities||Knowledge / Experience|
Holland / RIASEC Career Code: R-C-I SOC: 53-4021.02