Basic Job Description:
Provide specific, well defined respiratory care procedures under the direction of respiratory therapists and physicians.
1) Use ventilators and various oxygen devices and aerosol and breathing treatments in the provision of respiratory therapy.
2) Work with patients in areas such as the emergency room, neonatal/pediatric intensive care, and surgical intensive care, treating conditions including emphysema, chronic bronchitis, asthma, cystic fibrosis, and pneumonia.
3) Read and evaluate physicians' orders and patients' chart information to determine patients' condition and treatment protocols.
4) Keep records of patients' therapy, completing all necessary forms.
5) Set equipment controls to regulate the flow of oxygen, gases, mists, or aerosols.
6) Provide respiratory care involving the application of well-defined therapeutic techniques under the supervision of a respiratory therapist and a physician.
Thanks for visiting CareerPlanner.com
How can we help you with your career?
7) Assess patients' response to treatments and modify treatments according to protocol if necessary.
8) Prepare and test devices such as mechanical ventilators, therapeutic gas administration apparatus, environmental control systems, aerosol generators and EKG machines.
9) Monitor patients during treatment and report any unusual reactions to the respiratory therapist.
Is being a "Respiratory Therapy Technician" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
10) Explain treatment procedures to patients.
11) Clean, sterilize, check and maintain respiratory therapy equipment.
12) Perform diagnostic procedures to assess the severity of respiratory dysfunction in patients.
13) Follow and enforce safety rules applying to equipment.
14) Administer breathing and oxygen procedures such as intermittent positive pressure breathing treatments, ultrasonic nebulizer treatments and incentive spirometer treatments.
15) Recommend and review bedside procedures, x-rays, and laboratory tests.
16) Interview and examine patients to collect clinical data.
17) Teach patients how to use respiratory equipment at home.
18) Teach or oversee other workers who provide respiratory care services.
|Part 1||Part 2||Part 3||Part 4||Part 5|
|Duties / Tasks||Activities||Skills||Abilities||Knowledge / Experience|
Holland / RIASEC Career Code: NA SOC: 29-2054.00