Basic Job Description:
Set up or set up and operate metal or plastic sawing machines to cut straight, curved, irregular, or internal patterns in metal or plastic stock or to trim edges of metal or plastic objects. Involves the use of such machines as band saws, circular saws, friction saws, hacksawing machines, and jigsaws.
1) Turns controls to set cutting speed, feed rate, and table angle for specified operation.
2) Starts machine and feeds workpiece against blade, guiding along layout lines, to cut workpiece to specified dimensions.
3) Turns valves to start flow of coolant against cutting area and to start airflow which blows cuttings away from kerf.
4) Positions guides, stops, holding blocks, or other fixtures to secure and direct workpiece, using hand tools and measuring devices.
5) Reads work order for specifications, such as materials to be used, location of cutting lines, and dimensions and tolerances.
6) Marks identifying data on workpieces.
Thanks for visiting CareerPlanner.com
How can we help you with your career?
7) Examines completed workpieces for defects, such as chipped edges and marred surfaces, and sorts defective pieces according to defect.
8) Removes housings, feed tubes, tool holders, and other accessories to replace worn or broken parts, such as springs and bushings.
9) Sharpens dulled blades, using bench grinder, abrasive wheel, or lathe.
Is being a "Sawing Machine Tool Setter and Set-Up Operator, Metal and Plastic" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
10) Places workpiece on cutting table, manually or using hoist, and clamps workpiece into position.
11) Measures completed workpiece to verify conformance to specifications, using micrometers, gauges, calipers, templates, or rulers.
12) Replaces defective blades or wheels, using hand tools.
13) Scribes reference lines on workpiece as guide for sawing operations, according to blueprints, templates, sample parts, or specifications.
14) Selects blade according to specifications and installs on machine, using hand tools.
15) Sets blade tension, height, and angle to perform prescribed cut, using wrench.
|Part 1||Part 2||Part 3||Part 4||Part 5|
|Duties / Tasks||Activities||Skills||Abilities||Knowledge / Experience|
Holland / RIASEC Career Code: R-C-I SOC: 51-4031.01