Basic Job Description:
Operate or tend sewing machines to join together, reinforce, decorate, or perform related sewing operations in the manufacture of nongarment products, such as upholstery, draperies, linens, carpets, and mattresses.
1) Mounts attachments, such as needles, cutting blades, or pattern plates, and adjusts machine guides according to specifications.
2) Monitors machine operation to detect problems, such as defective stitching, breaks in thread, or machine malfunction.
3) Activates and adjusts machine controls to regulate stitching speed and length, dimensions of gathers and tucks, and material or thread tension.
4) Activates sewing machine to join, gather, hem, reinforce, or decorate materials or fabricated articles, such as linens, toys, or luggage.
5) Positions materials through feed rollers and guides, or positions and maneuvers under sewing machine presser foot and needle during operation.
6) Examines and measures finished articles to verify conformance to standards, using ruler.
Thanks for visiting CareerPlanner.com
How can we help you with your career?
7) Places spools of thread, cord, or other materials on spindles, inserts bobbin, and threads ends through machine guides and components.
8) Sews materials by hand, using needle and thread.
9) Records amount of materials processed in production logs.
Is being a "Sewing Machine Operator, Non-Garment" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
10) Removes finished materials from sewing machine.
11) Tapes or twists together thread or cord to repair breaks.
12) Positions and marks patterns on materials to prepare for sewing.
13) Replaces needles, sands rough areas of needles with sandpaper, and cleans and oils sewing machines to maintain equipment.
14) Cuts materials, according to specifications, or cuts excess material or thread from finished product, using blade, scissors, or electric knife.
15) Folds or fits together materials, such as cloth, foam rubber, or leather, to prepare for machine sewing.
16) Selects supplies, such as binding, cord, or thread, according to specifications or color of material.
|Part 1||Part 2||Part 3||Part 4||Part 5|
|Duties / Tasks||Activities||Skills||Abilities||Knowledge / Experience|
Holland / RIASEC Career Code: R-C-E SOC: 51-6031.02