Basic Job Description:
Teach courses in sociology.
1) Evaluate and grade students' class work, assignments, and papers.
2) Prepare and deliver lectures to undergraduate and/or graduate students on topics such as race and ethnic relations, measurement and data collection, and workplace social relations.
3) Initiate, facilitate, and moderate classroom discussions.
4) Compile, administer, and grade examinations, or assign this work to others.
5) Prepare course materials such as syllabi, homework assignments, and handouts.
6) Keep abreast of developments in their field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences.
Thanks for visiting CareerPlanner.com
How can we help you with your career?
7) Maintain student attendance records, grades, and other required records.
8) Maintain regularly scheduled office hours in order to advise and assist students.
9) Plan, evaluate, and revise curricula, course content, and course materials and methods of instruction.
Is being a "Sociology Teacher" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
10) Advise students on academic and vocational curricula, and on career issues.
11) Collaborate with colleagues to address teaching and research issues.
12) Conduct research in a particular field of knowledge, and publish findings in professional journals, books, and/or electronic media.
13) Select and obtain materials and supplies such as textbooks and laboratory equipment.
14) Supervise undergraduate and/or graduate teaching, internship, and research work.
15) Serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies, departmental matters, and academic issues.
16) Participate in student recruitment, registration, and placement activities.
17) Perform administrative duties such as serving as department head.
18) Supervise students' laboratory and field work.
19) Write grant proposals to procure external research funding.
20) Act as advisers to student organizations.
21) Compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments.
22) Participate in campus and community events.
23) Provide professional consulting services to government and/or industry.
|Part 1||Part 2||Part 3||Part 4||Part 5|
|Duties / Tasks||Activities||Skills||Abilities||Knowledge / Experience|
Holland / RIASEC Career Code: S-I-A SOC: 25-1067.00