Basic Job Description:
Treat diseases, injuries, and deformities by invasive methods, such as manual manipulation or by using instruments and appliances.
1) Analyze patient's medical history, medication allergies, physical condition, and examination results to verify operation's necessity and to determine best procedure.
2) Prescribe preoperative and postoperative treatments and procedures, such as sedatives, diets, antibiotics, and preparation and treatment of the patient's operative area.
3) Direct and coordinate activities of nurses, assistants, specialists, residents and other medical staff.
4) Examine patient to provide information on medical condition and surgical risk.
5) Follow established surgical techniques during the operation.
6) Operate on patients to correct deformities, repair injuries, prevent and treat diseases, or improve or restore patients' functions.
Thanks for visiting CareerPlanner.com
How can we help you with your career?
7) Refer patient to medical specialist or other practitioners when necessary.
8) Conduct research to develop and test surgical techniques that can improve operating procedures and outcomes.
9) Examine instruments, equipment, and operating room to ensure sterility.
Is being a "Surgeon" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
10) Manage surgery services, including planning, scheduling and coordination, determination of procedures, and procurement of supplies and equipment.
11) Prepare case histories.
12) Provide consultation and surgical assistance to other physicians and surgeons.
13) Diagnose bodily disorders and orthopedic conditions and provide treatments, such as medicines and surgeries, in clinics, hospital wards, and operating rooms.
|Part 1||Part 2||Part 3||Part 4||Part 5|
|Duties / Tasks||Activities||Skills||Abilities||Knowledge / Experience|
Holland / RIASEC Career Code: I-R-S SOC: 29-1067.00