Basic Job Description:
Plan, direct, and coordinate the transportation operations within an organization or the activities of organizations that provide transportation services.
1) Direct activities related to dispatching, routing, and tracking transportation vehicles, such as aircraft and railroad cars.
2) Plan, organize and manage the work of subordinate staff to ensure that the work is accomplished in a manner consistent with organizational requirements.
3) Direct investigations to verify and resolve customer or shipper complaints.
4) Serve as contact persons for all workers within assigned territories.
5) Implement schedule and policy changes.
6) Collaborate with other managers and staff members in order to formulate and implement policies, procedures, goals, and objectives.
Thanks for visiting CareerPlanner.com
How can we help you with your career?
7) Monitor operations to ensure that staff members comply with administrative policies and procedures, safety rules, union contracts, and government regulations.
8) Promote safe work activities by conducting safety audits, attending company safety meetings, and meeting with individual staff members.
9) Develop criteria, application instructions, procedural manuals, and contracts for federal and state public transportation programs.
Is being a "Transportation Manager" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
10) Monitor spending to ensure that expenses are consistent with approved budgets.
11) Direct and coordinate, through subordinates, activities of operations department in order to obtain use of equipment, facilities, and human resources.
12) Direct activities of staff performing repairs and maintenance to equipment, vehicles, and facilities.
13) Conduct investigations in cooperation with government agencies to determine causes of transportation accidents and to improve safety procedures.
14) Analyze expenditures and other financial information in order to develop plans, policies, and budgets for increasing profits and improving services.
15) Negotiate and authorize contracts with equipment and materials suppliers, and monitor contract fulfillment.
16) Supervise workers assigning tariff classifications and preparing billing.
17) Set operations policies and standards, including determination of safety procedures for the handling of dangerous goods.
18) Recommend or authorize capital expenditures for acquisition of new equipment or property in order to increase efficiency and services of operations department.
19) Prepare management recommendations, such as proposed fee and tariff increases or schedule changes.
20) Conduct employee training sessions on subjects such as hazardous material handling, employee orientation, quality improvement and computer use.
21) Participate in union contract negotiations and settlements of grievances.
22) Provide administrative and technical assistance to those receiving transportation-related grants.
23) Direct procurement processes, including equipment research and testing, vendor contracts, and requisitions approval.
|Part 1||Part 2||Part 3||Part 4||Part 5|
|Duties / Tasks||Activities||Skills||Abilities||Knowledge / Experience|
Holland / RIASEC Career Code: E-C-R SOC: 11-3071.01