Basic Job Description:
Diagnose, treat, and help prevent benign and malignant medical and surgical disorders of the genitourinary system and the renal glands.
1) Teach or train medical and clinical staff.
2) Document or review patients' histories.
3) Provide urology consultation to physicians or other health care professionals.
4) Refer patients to specialists when condition exceeds experience, expertise, or scope of practice.
5) Direct the work of nurses, residents, or other staff to provide patient care.
6) Treat urologic disorders using alternatives to traditional surgery such as extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy, laparoscopy, and laser techniques.
Thanks for visiting CareerPlanner.com
How can we help you with your career?
7) Treat lower urinary tract dysfunctions using equipment such as diathermy machines, catheters, cystoscopes, and radium emanation tubes.
8) Prescribe or administer antibiotics, antiseptics, or compresses to treat infection or injury.
9) Prescribe medications to treat patients with erectile dysfunction (ED), infertility, or ejaculation problems.
Is being an "Urologist" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
10) Perform abdominal, pelvic, or retroperitoneal surgeries.
11) Perform brachytherapy, cryotherapy, high intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU), or photodynamic therapy to treat prostate or other cancers.
12) Order and interpret the results of diagnostic tests, such as prostate specific antigen (PSA) screening, to detect prostate cancer.
13) Examine patients using equipment, such as radiograph (x-ray) machines and fluoroscopes, to determine the nature and extent of disorder or injury.
14) Diagnose or treat diseases or disorders of genitourinary organs and tracts including erectile dysfunction (ED), infertility, incontinence, bladder cancer, prostate cancer, urethral stones, or premature ejaculation.
|Part 1||Part 2||Part 3||Part 4||Part 5|
|Duties / Tasks||Activities||Skills||Abilities||Knowledge / Experience|
Holland / RIASEC Career Code: NA SOC: 29-1069.12