Instruct students in secondary public or private schools in one or more subjects at the secondary level, such as English, mathematics, or social studies. May be designated according to subject matter specialty, such as typing instructors, commercial teachers, or English teachers.
1) Establish and enforce rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order among the students for whom they are responsible.
2) Instruct through lectures, discussions, and demonstrations in one or more subjects such as English, mathematics, or social studies.
3) Establish clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects, and communicate those objectives to students.
4) Prepare, administer, and grade tests and assignments to evaluate students' progress.
5) Prepare materials and classrooms for class activities.
6) Adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students' varying needs and interests.
7) Maintain accurate and complete student records as required by laws, district policies, and administrative regulations.
8) Assign and grade class work and homework.
9) Observe and evaluate students' performance, behavior, social development, and physical health.
Thanks for visiting CareerPlanner.com
Thanks for visiting CareerPlanner.com
11) Plan and conduct activities for a balanced program of instruction, demonstration, and work time that provides students with opportunities to observe, question, and investigate.
12) Prepare students for later grades by encouraging them to explore learning opportunities and to persevere with challenging tasks.
Is being a "Secondary School Teacher" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
13) Guide and counsel students with adjustment and/or academic problems, or special academic interests.
14) Instruct and monitor students in the use and care of equipment and materials, in order to prevent injuries and damage.
15) Prepare for assigned classes, and show written evidence of preparation upon request of immediate supervisors.
16) Use computers, audiovisual aids, and other equipment and materials to supplement presentations.
17) Meet with parents and guardians to discuss their children's progress, and to determine their priorities for their children and their resource needs.
18) Confer with parents or guardians, other teachers, counselors, and administrators in order to resolve students' behavioral and academic problems.
19) Prepare objectives and outlines for courses of study, following curriculum guidelines or requirements of states and schools.
20) Meet with other professionals to discuss individual students' needs and progress.
21) Prepare and implement remedial programs for students requiring extra help.
22) Attend professional meetings, educational conferences, and teacher training workshops in order to maintain and improve professional competence.
23) Confer with other staff members to plan and schedule lessons promoting learning, following approved curricula.
24) Collaborate with other teachers and administrators in the development, evaluation, and revision of secondary school programs.
25) Prepare reports on students and activities as required by administration.
26) Select, store, order, issue, and inventory classroom equipment, materials, and supplies.
27) Plan and supervise class projects, field trips, visits by guest speakers, or other experiential activities, and guide students in learning from those activities.
28) Administer standardized ability and achievement tests, and interpret results to determine students' strengths and areas of need.
29) Sponsor extracurricular activities such as clubs, student organizations, and academic contests.
30) Attend staff meetings, and serve on committees as required.
31) Perform administrative duties such as assisting in school libraries, hall and cafeteria monitoring, and bus loading and unloading.
32) Provide disabled students with assistive devices, supportive technology, and assistance accessing facilities such as restrooms.
Holland / RIASEC Career Code: S-I-A SOC: 25-2031.00