Basic Job Description:
Stand watch at bow or on wing of bridge to look for obstructions in path of vessel. Measure water depth. Turn wheel on bridge or use emergency equipment as directed by mate. Break out, rig, overhaul, and store cargo-handling gear, stationary rigging, and running gear. Chip rust from and paint deck or ship's structure. Must hold government-issued certification. Must hold certification when working aboard liquid-carrying vessels.
1) Measures depth of water in shallow or unfamiliar waters, using leadline, and telephones or shouts information to bridge.
2) Breaks out, rigs, overhauls, and stows cargo-handling gear, stationary rigging, and running gear.
3) Stands watch from bow of ship or wing of bridge to look for obstruction in path of ship.
4) Steers ship and maintains visual communication with other ships.
5) Steers ship under direction of ship's commander or navigating officer, or directs helmsman to steer, following designated course.
6) Overhauls lifeboats and lifeboat gear, and lowers or raises lifeboats with winch or falls.
Thanks for visiting CareerPlanner.com
How can we help you with your career?
7) Paints and chips rust on deck or superstructure of ship.
8) Stands by wheel when ship is on automatic pilot and verifies accuracy of course by comparing with magnetic compass.
9) Gives directions to crew engaged in cleaning wheelhouse and quarter deck.
Is being an "Able Seamen" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
10) Maintains ship's log while in port, and stands gangway watch to prevent unauthorized persons from boarding ship.
11) Stows or removes cargo from ship's hold.
12) Relays specified signals to ships in vicinity, using visual signaling devices, such as blinker light and semaphore.
|Part 1||Part 2||Part 3||Part 4||Part 5|
|Duties / Tasks||Activities||Skills||Abilities||Knowledge / Experience|
Holland / RIASEC Career Code: R-C-E SOC: 53-5011.01