Basic Job Description:
Receive and transmit communications using radiotelegraph or radiotelephone equipment in accordance with government regulations. May repair equipment.
1) Operate radio equipment in order to communicate with ships, aircraft, mining crews, offshore oil rigs, logging camps and other remote operations.
2) Turn controls or throw switches in order to activate power, adjust voice volume and modulation, and set transmitters on specified frequencies.
3) Broadcast weather reports and warnings.
4) Conduct periodic equipment inspections and routine tests in order to ensure that operations standards are met.
5) Coordinate radio-related aspects of locating and contacting airplanes and ships that are missing or in distress.
6) Examine and operate new equipment prior to installation in order to ensure that it performs properly.
Thanks for visiting CareerPlanner.com
How can we help you with your career?
7) Operate sound-recording equipment in order to record signals and preserve broadcasts for purposes such as analysis by intelligence personnel.
8) Repair radio equipment as necessary, using electronic testing equipment, hand tools, and power tools.
9) Review applicable regulations regarding radio communications, and report violations.
Is being a "Radio Operator" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
10) Send, receive, and interpret coded messages.
11) Set up antennas and mobile communication units during military field exercises.
12) Communicate with receiving operators in order to exchange transmission instructions.
13) Determine and obtain bearings of sources from which signals originate, using direction-finding procedures and equipment.
14) Maintain station logs of messages transmitted and received for activities such as flight testing and fire locations.
15) Monitor emergency frequencies in order to detect distress calls and respond by dispatching emergency equipment.
|Part 1||Part 2||Part 3||Part 4||Part 5|
|Duties / Tasks||Activities||Skills||Abilities||Knowledge / Experience|
Holland / RIASEC Career Code: R-C-E SOC: 27-4013.00