Basic Job Description:
Sell merchandise, such as furniture, motor vehicles, appliances, or apparel in a retail establishment.
1) Greet customers and ascertain what each customer wants or needs.
2) Open and close cash registers, performing tasks such as counting money, separating charge slips, coupons, and vouchers, balancing cash drawers, and making deposits.
3) Maintain knowledge of current sales and promotions, policies regarding payment and exchanges, and security practices.
4) Compute sales prices, total purchases and receive and process cash or credit payment.
5) Maintain records related to sales.
6) Watch for and recognize security risks and thefts, and know how to prevent or handle these situations.
Thanks for visiting CareerPlanner.com
How can we help you with your career?
7) Recommend, select, and help locate or obtain merchandise based on customer needs and desires.
8) Answer questions regarding the store and its merchandise.
9) Describe merchandise and explain use, operation, and care of merchandise to customers.
Is being a "Retail Salesperson" your very best career choice?
Our Career Interest Test will show you which careers match your interests.
Our Free Personality Test will show you which careers match your personality and why.
10) Ticket, arrange and display merchandise to promote sales.
11) Prepare sales slips or sales contracts.
12) Place special orders or call other stores to find desired items.
13) Demonstrate use or operation of merchandise.
14) Clean shelves, counters, and tables.
15) Exchange merchandise for customers and accept returns.
16) Bag or package purchases, and wrap gifts.
17) Help customers try on or fit merchandise.
18) Inventory stock and requisition new stock.
19) Prepare merchandise for purchase or rental.
20) Sell or arrange for delivery, insurance, financing, or service contracts for merchandise.
21) Estimate and quote trade-in allowances.
22) Estimate cost of repair or alteration of merchandise.
23) Estimate quantity and cost of merchandise required, such as paint or floor covering.
24) Rent merchandise to customers.
|Part 1||Part 2||Part 3||Part 4||Part 5|
|Duties / Tasks||Activities||Skills||Abilities||Knowledge / Experience|
Holland / RIASEC Career Code: E-S-R SOC: 41-2031.00