Plan, organize, direct, or coordinate activities of workers engaged in landscaping or groundskeeping activities, such as planting and maintaining ornamental trees, shrubs, flowers, and lawns, and applying fertilizers, pesticides, and other chemicals, according to contract specifications. May also coordinate activities of workers engaged in terracing hillsides, building retaining walls, constructing pathways, installing patios, and similar activities in following a landscape design plan. Work may involve reviewing contracts to ascertain service, machine, and work force requirements; answering inquiries from potential customers regarding methods, material, and price ranges; and preparing estimates according to labor, material, and machine costs.
1) Direct activities of workers who perform duties such as landscaping, cultivating lawns, or pruning trees and shrubs.
2) Inspect completed work to ensure conformance to specifications, standards, and contract requirements.
3) Schedule work for crews depending on work priorities, crew and equipment availability, and weather conditions.
4) Confer with other supervisors to coordinate work activities with those of other departments or units.
5) Direct or perform mixing and application of fertilizers, insecticides, herbicides, and fungicides.
6) Establish and enforce operating procedures and work standards that will ensure adequate performance and personnel safety.
7) Inventory supplies of tools, equipment, and materials to ensure that sufficient supplies are available and items are in usable condition.
8) Investigate work-related complaints in order to verify problems, and to determine responses.
Thanks for visiting CareerPlanner.com
Thanks for visiting CareerPlanner.com
9) Monitor project activities to ensure that instructions are followed, deadlines are met, and schedules are maintained.
10) Order the performance of corrective work when problems occur, and recommend procedural changes to avoid such problems.
11) Perform personnel-related activities such as hiring workers, evaluating staff performance, and taking disciplinary actions when performance problems occur.
12) Provide workers with assistance in performing duties as necessary to meet deadlines.
13) Review contracts or work assignments to determine service, machine, and workforce requirements for jobs.
14) Train workers in tasks such as transplanting and pruning trees and shrubs, finishing cement, using equipment, and caring for turf.
15) Answer inquiries from current or prospective customers regarding methods, materials, and price ranges.
16) Confer with managers and landscape architects to develop plans and schedules for landscaping maintenance and improvement.
17) Direct and assist workers engaged in the maintenance and repair of equipment such as power tools and motorized equipment.
18) Identify diseases and pests affecting landscaping, and order appropriate treatments.
19) Install and maintain landscaped areas, performing tasks such as removing snow, pouring cement curbs, and repairing sidewalks.
20) Maintain required records such as personnel information and project records.
21) Negotiate with customers regarding fees for landscaping, lawn service, or groundskeeping work.
22) Perform administrative duties such as authorizing leaves and processing time sheets.
23) Plant and maintain vegetation through activities such as mulching, fertilizing, watering, mowing, and pruning.
24) Prepare and maintain required records such as work activity and personnel reports.
25) Prepare service estimates based on labor, material, and machine costs, and maintain budgets for individual projects.
26) Recommend changes in working conditions or equipment use, in order to increase crew efficiency.
27) Design and supervise the installation of sprinkler systems, calculating water pressure, and valve and pipe coverage needs.
28) Tour grounds such as parks, botanical gardens, cemeteries, or golf courses to inspect conditions of plants and soil.
"First-Line Supervisor-Manager of Landscaping, Lawn Service, and Groundskeeping Worker" Holland / RIASEC Career Code: NA SOC: 37-1012.00