Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers where technical or scientific knowledge is required in such areas as biology, engineering, chemistry, and electronics, normally obtained from at least 2 years of post-secondary education.
1) Answer customers' questions about products, prices, availability, product uses, and credit terms.
2) Arrange for installation and test-operation of machinery.
3) Attend sales and trade meetings, and read related publications in order to obtain information about market conditions, business trends, and industry developments.
4) Identify prospective customers by using business directories, following leads from existing clients, participating in organizations and clubs, and attending trade shows and conferences.
5) Compute customer's installation or production costs, and estimate savings from new services, products, or equipment.
6) Contact new and existing customers to discuss their needs, and to explain how these needs could be met by specific products and services.
7) Demonstrate and explain the operation and use of products.
8) Emphasize product features based on analyses of customers' needs, and on technical knowledge of product capabilities and limitations.
Thanks for visiting CareerPlanner.com
Thanks for visiting CareerPlanner.com
9) Inform customers of estimated delivery schedules, service contracts, warranties, or other information pertaining to purchased products.
10) Initiate sales campaigns and follow marketing plan guidelines in order to meet sales and production expectations.
11) Negotiate prices and terms of sales and service agreements.
12) Prepare sales contracts for orders obtained, and submit orders for processing.
13) Prepare sales presentations and proposals that explain product specifications and applications.
14) Quote prices, credit terms and other bid specifications.
15) Recommend ways for customers to alter product usage in order to improve production.
16) Select the correct products or assist customers in making product selections, based on customers' needs, product specifications, and applicable regulations.
17) Sell service contracts for products.
18) Stock and distribute resources such as samples and promotional and educational materials.
19) Study information about new products so that equipment and supplies can be accurately depicted and proper recommendations made.
20) Verify that materials lists are accurate and that delivery schedules meet project deadlines.
21) Visit establishments to evaluate needs and to promote product or service sales.
22) Collaborate with colleagues to exchange information such as selling strategies and marketing information.
23) Complete expense reports, sales reports, and other paperwork.
24) Complete product and development training as required.
25) Consult with engineers regarding technical problems.
26) Maintain customer records, using automated systems.
27) Provide customers with ongoing technical support.
28) Provide feedback to company's product design team so that products can be tailored to clients' needs.
29) Review existing machinery/equipment placement, and create diagrams to illustrate efficient space utilization, using standard measuring devices and templates.
30) Train establishment personnel in equipment use.
31) Verify customers' credit ratings, and appraise equipment in order to determine contract terms and trade-in values.
32) Advise customers regarding office layouts, legal and insurance regulations, cost analyses, and collection methods.
33) Attend medical procedures in order to provide medical personnel with product assistance.
34) Design and fabricate custom-made medical appliances.
35) Inspect, test, and observe chemical changes in water system equipment, using test kits, reference manuals, and knowledge of chemical treatments.
36) Obtain building blueprints and specifications for use by engineering departments in bid preparations.
37) Select surgical appliances from stock, and fit and sell appliances to customers.
38) Visit establishments such as pharmacies in order to check product sales.
39) Write specifications to order custom-made surgical appliances, using customers' measurements and physicians' prescriptions.
"Sales Representative, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Technical and Scientific Product" Holland / RIASEC Career Code: NA SOC: 41-4011.00